Probate Court of Dooly County

Marriage License

Effective: July 1, 2003 Blood Test are no longer required

Effective:  July 1, 2006 The following applies.

HOURS: Monday – Friday (8:00-11:30 & 1:00-4:30) Staff will not remain after hours to issue Marriage License

It is strongly suggested that you call (229) 268-4217 extension 2 to make an appointment. Walk-ins are welcome but there may be a lengthy wait without an appointment. Without an appointment it is first come first serve.

No applications made outside of the Dooly County Courthouse. This will include no travel to the Dooly County Correctional Institution or Dooly County Justice Center.

ID Required: For applicants over 18 years of age ONLY: Court will  accept suitable proof of ID – Certified Copy of Birth Certificate with seal / valid Georgia Driver License / valid Georgia ID Card issued by the Georgia Department of Motor Vehicle Safety / valid out of state Driver License, or valid out of state ID Card issued by the DMV / current military ID with photo. For applicants under 18 see Age Requirements below: AND

Applicants must have either an originally issued Social Security Card not defaced in any manner or a print out from the Social Security Administration. (No metal or laminated cards accepted.)

IF Married previously – DIVORCE – Must have a certified copy of the last divorce decree signed by the judge. (Court will not accept complaint, unsigned copy of decree, settlement etc.)

IF Married previously – DECEASED – Must have a certified copy of the Death Certificate. (No photo copies accepted)

AGE REQUIREMENTS: Must be at least 18 years of age without parental consent or must be at least 16 or 17 years of age with both parents consent or legal guardian(s).  AND

Under 18 must provide the following:

Must have a birth certificate issued within 45 days of application. (No exceptions)

Parental Status: 

Married - Both parents must personally appear with proper photo identification.

Divorced - Both parents must give consent regardless of custodial parent status.

Never Married - Child never legitimated - Only mother's consent required with birth certificate issued in the last 45 days.   Child legitimated - Both parents must give parental consent.

Legal Guardian(s) - May give consent with proof of guardianship and photo identification.

NOTE:  Parent(s) / Guardian unable to personally appear in court due to illness or infirmity may submit a notarized affidavit  AND a notarized affidavit from attending physician along with photo identification.

 All documents must be in English. Translations are available from the INS of birth certificates etc.

Probate Judge will perform marriage ceremonies by appointment only during regular business hours at no charge.